Free website hosting is definitely not for you if you are serious about having a website, ecommerce site or a blog. Here are 10 reasons why you should avoid free hosting.
- Free or dirt cheap website hosting attract spammers, scammers, phishers and hackers. These low-lifes of the WWW might end up on your shared server, and can trigger many kinds of problems.
- Lengthy URLs, with the free web host’s name in them. This doesn’t instill much confidence in prospective buyers or potential customers. How do you like a URL like this:
http://lorainenor9913.webs.com/apps/blog/show/7057639-5-commonly-asked-questions-about-domain-name-registration-service-in-simple-layman-terms (sorry we had to cut the URL shorter to fit this page).
- Support is, at best, not very friendly or quick to respond. At some free web hosts, it’s practically non-existent. Need phone support? Want a live chat to talk about a technical problem? Dream on.
- Space and bandwidth given to internet websites by free hosting companies are usually quite little.
- Most free hosts restrict your capability to advertise or run a business website that processes purchases. Need to make money from your blog at WordPress.com? Forget it.
- Not e-commerce friendly. No ability to obtain SSL certificates or handle transactions securely, even if they are allowed.
- Technologies utilized at these sites isn’t state of the art, and they are often slow to load. Your site is prone to getting hacked, getting DDOS attacks or even virus infected.
- PHP, Perl, CGI and scripts are frequently not updated to current versions, and requests for updates are generally denied. Most popular and useful free scripts like WordPress, Joomla and Magento require latest PHP version to work smoothly.
- Databases may not be supplied or allowed. If a database is available on your account, the limits set on it makes it pointless to have one.
- Free web host sponsored links and marketing. Individuals who click on these advertisements earn money for them, not you, and leave your web site.
- Most don’t provide you with the tools you need to construct a internet site, like an online website builder and templates, or perhaps a free script library to install blogs, galleries, or other functions. Most will have one thing but not the other.
- Cron jobs, necessary to run particular scripts along with other functions, are often not provided or allowed.
Did we say 10 reasons? Darn it. Maybe not. The list can go on and on. We’ll just stop here for now.
If you are only searching for a place to put a little, simple personal web website, then free web hosting might be what you are looking for. But, if you can afford to invest even a few dollars a month, a paid host is a better deal, even for a hobby website. If you ask us, we have tried more than 15 different web hosts in the past 12 years. One web hosting company that stands out above the rest is Hostgator. We give them our highest recommendation, without reservation.
Hostgator has an amazingly long, 45 days money back guarantee. They are rated A+ by Better Business Bureau which shows their commitment to customer satisfaction and you will get your money back for sure. If you have specific query about anything at all, you can try the Live Chat at HG. The live chat is also available once you are a customer so you can get billing or technical support via Chat. They also offer phone support but we never use them as we are based outside the US.
You do not even have to pay for the first month to try out HG. You can just use their fully functional hosting service – you pay only $0.01 (you need to use the special coupon).
Secrets That Hostgator Does Not Want Full Paying Customers to Know
Click the coupon below to try a Hostgator hosting plan for almost free. HG is having a 20% off sale, but here is a better deal for you today. If you already know that Hostgator is right for you, you can even save 25% off the normal price!